We’ve all had those thoughts in our head while attending a holiday party: “Do I have that extra plate of stuffing?” “Wow, that dessert looks so good.” “One more serving won’t hurt!” But then comes the dreaded thought: “But I want to fit into all my party outfits this season,” and “I don’t want to break my diet.”
With the holidays rapidly approaching, and an abundance of treats and gluttonous meals everywhere, it can be a daunting time for anyone who is trying to maintain a low-carb or keto diet. However, this time of year is very manageable with the right approach, right recipes and good eating habits. That’s why we’ve put together a few simple recipes and tips that make the impossible seem easy.
Tips & Tricks
Here are some simple tips on how to stay on a low-carb diet during the holidays:
- Eat beforehand: There’s nothing worse than going to a dinner party with a growling stomach and devouring everything in sight. If you know you are going to be tempted with all the delicious different plates, make sure to cook a low-carb meal with a larger protein portion at home beforehand. This way, you—and your stomach—can make it through the night.
- Offer to help with the cooking: Whether you make a dish to bring, or arrive early and help the host, this is a sure way to make sure there is a low-carb food option. This is an easy way to contribute to the party and avoid the awkwardness of not eating when everyone else is.
- Let the host know: If you’re worried the host won’t want you to help out, just let them know you’re on a low-carb diet ahead of time. This way, you can work out a solution and stick to your diet.
- Avoid drinking carb-heavy alcohol: We know how tempting that boozy punch bowl can be, especially if you’re filled with pre-party jitters. But most sugary alcohols and cocktails should be avoided when trying to remain on a low-carb diet. Avoid beer at all costs, as it’s essentially liquid bread. And if you still want to indulge in a celebratory drink, try whiskey or a dry martini.
Now that you have ways to maintain your diet, here are some recipes to follow that are delicious, low-carb and perfect for parties:
- Appetizer: This super simple Keto Prosciutto-wrapped Asparagus with Goat Cheese recipe from Diet Doctor are sure to impress your guests right off the bat.
- Protein: Tilapia is a great protein for low-carb diets. Keto In Pearls’ Pan Fried Tilapia with Lemon Cream Sauce is sure to be a crowd favorite, with its crispy shell and light, citrusy flavor.
- Side: This Easy Keto Creamed Spinach from ruled.me is a quick and tasty vegetable side. It’s sure to be a hit with its rich and creamy texture.
- Bread: These Low-Carb Garlic Parmesan Knots from All Day I Dream About Food are sure to be a crowd favorite. They offer the perfect combination of savory with a hint of sweet.
- Dessert: Decorative, yet tasty, this Mini Gingerbread House and Men recipe from Keto Cook is fun for the whole family and makes a fun centerpiece at a party.
Don’t Give Up
Getting through the holidays on a diet is hard. If you find yourself indulging in a few too many carbs, don’t give up. It’s completely normal to enjoy yourself every once in awhile—that’s the key to living a balanced, healthy life.
These recipes and tips can guide you through the holidays, and help you maintain a low carb diet. For more inspiration and recipes, check out these 5 Clean Eating Dinner Ideas, or impress your guests with these 5 Pumpkin Side Dishes to Serve at Your Next Holiday Party.
Photo Credits: Africa Studio / Shutterstock Inc., AS Food studio / Shutterstock Inc., margouillat photo / Shutterstock Inc.